Friday, July 31, 2015

Komodo National Park with Tublin

I was incredibly excited to see one of my best friends in the world, Bryan, for Christmas this year. I had anxiously awaited his arrival for days and could not wait to set out together on a land and sea Indonesia adventure over the next few weeks. When planning the trip, I did everything I could to expose him to a variety of experiences that would effectively illustrate how diverse and eclectic Indonesia is in terms of culture, religion, biodiversity, ethnicity, and customs. Thus, I decided to begin our journey in my favorite part of Indonesia, Komodo National Park.

This being my second trip to Labuan Bajo on Flores, the port city of Komodo National Park, I am not going to repeat the details from my original blog post. Feel free to peruse my previous post to gain more details about the city and interesting Komodo Dragon fun facts.

Based on my previous enjoyable experience at Golo Hilltop Hotel, I decided to enjoy another stay. After checking into our hotel, we took the 15 minute walk to main street to search for our lunch.

Bryan Enjoying Padang Looking at the Main Street of Labuan Bajo

Lunch Followed with Indonesia's National Beer... Bintang

After a satisfying lunch and a few beers, we set out down the street to haggle a good price for our overnight boat trip to both Rintja and Komodo Islands, being sure to keep an eye out for someone selling tickets who did not look completely untrustworthy. On my past trip with Rashidah we were able to secure tickets for 700,000 Rp each. Unfortunately, Bryan and I were not as lucky... I suspect it had something to do with us being bule (white people) or my inferior bahasa skills... we paid 1,000,000 Rp each, which honestly was still a solid price considering others paid more.

Rural Flores

Following our semi-successful bartering escapade, we decided to rent a pair of scooters and explore rural Flores for the remainder of the day. The freshly paved road wove its way through the mountains and jungle leading us on a calming and enjoyable ride. It was not to last however, the rain began and our once calming ride in the countryside turned into a fairly treacherous return journey to Labuan Bajo.

The following morning we awoke early and set out for the primary purpose of our visit to Flores, Komodo National Park! When Bryan and I reached the dock, we were pleasantly surprised to learn that we would have the boat to ourselves as the others in our group had dropped out that morning. This led to a much more relaxing, comfortable, and spacious trip, which I would gladly pay an additional 300,000 Rp for every time. On my previous trip with Rashidah, we had to share the boat with five other tourists, which made for a cramped and confined 48 hours. This time around I was able to stretch out and more leisurely trek on both islands.

Islands in Komodo National Park

Islands in Komodo National Park

Typical Meal

Bryan & I Arriving at Rintja Island

Welcome!


Bryan & I

My Christmas Day was spent trekking and exploring Rintja Island with Bryan. The tour guides even let me use their walking stick, which is the last line of defense against the Komodos should they attack. The top of the sturdy stick is used to pin the head of the Komodo Dragon against the ground if they charge. Luckily, I was in no such danger. As long as you keep a safe distance and do not pester the Komodo Dragons they will likely leave you alone. I say likely because they are still reptiles, the most unpredictable and instinctual class of animals on the planet.

Holding a Walking Stick

Bryan & I on Rintja 

Unlike my first trip to Komodo, that night I was able to see the large flying foxes, which are the world's largest bats. According to Wikipedia, their wingspan stretches 1.5 m (4 ft 11 in) and they normally weigh 0.65 to 1.1 kg (1.4 to 2.4 lb). They are enormous! On my last trip they flew out too near dusk and I could barely see them from a distance. This time they came out a bit earlier and flew directly over our boat blanketing the sky with their large sinewy wings, but don't worry; they solely eat fruit and nectar. I only wish I was able to get a clear photo of them, but I have neither the skill nor tools to capture such an image at dusk.

The following day Bryan and I explored Komodo Island.




Before

After

Bryan & I on Komodo Island

Walking with a Komodo

Walking with a Komodo


In an unexpected twist, Bryan and I came across this Komodo strolling down the walkway. Rather than avoiding our new found friend, we decided to follow her for a while before departing the park.

Walking with a Komodo

Komodo

Fulfilling my childhood dream of seeing the real world Godzilla for a second time was as enjoyable as my first trip. I love this place and would travel here again in a heart beat. The scenery is sublime, there are unique animals in their natural environment, the snorkeling is outstanding, there is plenty of trekking, and the calm water is crystal clear. What more could a conservationist ask for?

Bryan and I's next stop will be Bali and the Gili Islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment